A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE KINGDOM OF DELI MALAY
In the 16th century, there was a kingdom called "Aru" located near the Lalang River (Deli Tua now). In 1612, the ARU Kingdom was defeated by Kingdom of Aceh, led by Commander flisyamsudin, who was a descendant of Zulkanaeni Bahasid Syekh Batraluddin Hindustant from the country of Shindi Hindustan. Eventually, he was promoted by Sultan Iskandar Muda from Aceh to serve as a representative of the Kingdom for East Sumatra located at the Lalang River. His new name was Panglima Gocah Pahlawan.
1. Tuanku Panglima Gocah Pahlawan
The time and situation changed and in 1632 Aceh built the Deli Kingdom led by Commander Gocah Pahlawan who was the first Deli King. He got a new name called tuanku Panglima Gocah Pahlawan". He died in 1669.
2. Tuanku Panglima Parunggit
The second Deli King governed and moved the kingdom to an area on a plain (now Medan). He became the king in 1669 and died in 1698. His new name was "Marhum Kesawan".
3. Tuanku Panglima Padrap
The third Deli King governed from 1698-1728. He had 4 sons. He moved the kingdom to Pulo Brayan.
4. Tuanku Panglima Pasutan
This king governed from 1728-1761. He moved the kingdom to Labuhan Deli and named the heads of the aborigine tribes in Deli. They were usually called Datuk of 4 tribes. Those tribes received the titles as follows:
- Sepuluh Dua Kuta resort (Hamparan Perak and the surroundings)
- Serbanyaman resort (Sunggal and the surroundings)
- Senembah resort (Patumbak area and Tanjung Morawa)
- Sukapiring resort (Kampung Baru, and Medan)
5. Tuanku Panglima Gandar Wahid
The fifth Deli King ruled from 1761-1805. It was during his regime that the position of Datuk 4 became stronger as the people's representative.
6. Sultan Amaluddin Mengedar Alam
This is the third son of Panglima Gandar Wahid who ruled from 1805-1850. In his regime, Siak Kingdom's influence was stronger than Aceh's. The title of "Sultanate" was given to the Deli Kingdom.
7. Sultan Osman Perkasa Alam
He ruled from 1850-1858 and got the right to govern Deli as an autonomous kingdom. It was marked by giving him the "Bawar" and "cap Sembilan Swords". It was really intended to weaken the influence of Siak Kingdom in the Deli region.
8. Sultan Mahmud Al Rasyid Perkasa Alam
This Sultan, who governed from 1858-1873, commenced the relationship with the Dutch government which wanted to use the land in Deli for tobacco production.
9.Sultan Ma'mun Al Rasyid Perkasa Alamsyah
This young Sultan ruled from 1873-1924. During his regime, the tobacco trade rapidly developed and he reached the peak of his prosperity. He moved the kingdom to Medan and finished building the Maimoon Palace on 26 August 1888. It was officially inaugurated on 18 May 1891.
He also built:
- This Grand Mosque Al Mashum in 1907, and inaugurated it on Friday, 10 September 1909 (25 Sya'ban 1329 H).
- A meeting room in 1906 whidi was used as the Justice court of Law for Sultan Maimoon Al Rasyid Alamsyah' s regime (It used to be the Deli Serdang regent office). It was inaugurated on 5 May 1913.
- Other public facilities for social development and two mosques which are used to spread the Moslem religion.
10. Sultan Amaluddin Al Sani Perkasa Alamsyah
He governed from 1924-1945. During his regime, the commercial connections with other countries and kingdoms in Indonesia increased. This increased activity is evident from the development of more harbors at that time. After the declaration of the Independence of Indonesia on 17 August 1945, the government of the Deli Sultanate acknowledged the sovereignty of Republic of Indonesia and, in turn, the Sultans became the top administrators of Deli Malay customs, traditions and cultures.
11. Sultan Amaluddin Al Sani Perkasa Alamsyah`s eldest son became the administrator of customs from 1945 and carried out his duties until 1965.
12. Sultan Azmi Perkasa Alam
He relieved his father's position, Sultan Osman Al Sani Perkasa Alam, as the top administrator of Deli Malayan in 1965 and has continued to the present.